Saga Musix' demoscene blog.
Goal Accomplished April 8th, 2010
At this year's edition of the Breakpoint demoparty (which was sadly the last one, *sniff*), I was holding the unofficial tracked music compo on behalf of The Mod Archive. My expectations were not very high because of some erroneous information on the Breakpoint website (some texts still said that there is no tracked music compo anymore until a week before the compo), but I was positively surprised: Not only did Breakpoint 2010 set off a new visitor's record, we also had a great tracked music compo with a total of 19 quality tracks! This proves again that such a compo is still definitely needed and I hope that the follow-up party will have an official tracked music compo again. You can grab the releases from scene.org, together with the results. Wohoo!
Dance For The Sun March 13th, 2010
Some time ago, I found (rather by accident) the track Dance For The Sun by Boor (aka Crystal Score) on Nectarine. It won the MP3 compo at the Takeover 2000 demoparty. And it very well deserved the first place. I haven't heard many tracks which are as light-hearted, naïve and beautiful tracks as this one. This is just great!
Anyway - See you at Breakpoint 2010!
Tekkno January 20th, 2010
Here are some enjoyable classic tekkno-rave mods!
- alf - no-mercy - Probably one of the best of its kind in just four channels. Great synth lines, a piercing piano, classic tekkno samples and the raaaaaaave feeling.
- travolta - condom corruption - Another classic in four channels. No need to say more...
- travolta - orient expression - Starting with some synth chords and steam engine sounds, this is quickly turning into some very nice and fast tekkno track with nice synth sweeps.
- travolta - testlast - A classic which is even a part of a Nectarine jingle. Fast and aggressive.
Have fun with this little collection, and feel free to share and discuss other similar tracks.
On a side note, I have now spent more than a third of my liftetime with trackers. I made my first attempts at tracking at the age of 13. Tracker music has accompanied me the most of time of my life, given that one of the first tracks that I could ever remember (and definitely the first computer game soundtrack I can remember) is Steelchambers 2 by Olof Gustafsson from the fantastic Pinball Fantasies game. I remember it from when I was maybe five years old, and I still love this tune. It's just too great. But what are the prospects like? I seriously don't know. But I just hope that tracker music will be part of my life for many more years!
Firefly December 30th, 2009
The Ultimate Meeting is over (I'll post my achievements here as soon as possible) and the "after-party syndrome" kicks in. I miss the party already. But I've also come across a soothing and heart-warming track on the ModArchive today: Firefly by Ballistique. This track shows how easygoing and positive life can be. Enjoy it. Listen to it when you're sad. Maybe it will help.
Leandi - Mosaik's new EP is out October 1st, 2009
Don't forget to download Mosaik's (aka Radix aka Rymdlego) new free EP called Leandi! It's just as great as all his other releases and has a nice oldskool touch. Wohoo!
Prodigy October 1st, 2009
No, I'm not talking about "The Prodigy". I'm talking about Prodigy of Oops. A lot of Prodigy's modules were incorporated into The Mod Archive, and while I screened them, I found a lot of gems among then. Just have a look at the complete module list. Here are a few that I can really recommend:
- Downtown - Awesome funk!
- Firestarter - Well, this almost sounds like a certain tune from "The Prodigy".
- Flow - Nice ambient-ish track with a light touch of breakbeats.
- Oldskool - Oldskool and funky!
- Seduction - I knew this one already, but that doesn't make it worse! Nice techno tune.
- Somtimes - This is just so awesomely groooovy... Gotta love that whining lead sound!
Yuki Satellites June 14th, 2009
Last time, I posted a few tunes made by Radix / Mosaik. One of them was my absolutely favourite tune, Yuki Satellites. I bugged Radix last year already (hehe) if he still has the module file - I suspected it to be an Impulse Tracker module because of the filtered breakbeats and I thought that I could hear Jogeir's typical snare sample (I've been proven wrong in both cases) - but I only got told that he has to look if he still has it.
Well, a month ago, I found out that he has uploaded a video of Yuki Satellites playing in Fast Tracker to YouTube so I mailed him again. And guess what, a few hours later, I had it - yukisatellites.xm! This is just awesome. I have loved this tune for years, and now I finally have the "source". I guess most people can't say that they have the original sources of their favourite tune... hehe.
Anyway, to go on with the story, the module is now available at The Mod Archive, together with two other previously unreleased chiptunes! Go and grab it!
Radix goodness April 5th, 2009
If there's someone who is my "most favourite artist", then it must be Radix. I love almost all tunes he ever made, it does not matter if it is a chiptune, chillout music, dance or ambient stuff. If you do not know Radix already, be sure to download those goodies, they are definitely worth listening.
- Yuki Satellites - This has been my favourite track for a loooong time now. I simply love it. The glitchy drums, the powerful sound, the cute voice (which is told to be his little sister )
- Tournesol (with Lluvia) - Same here. My second favourite tune!
- Plateau - For those of you who love ambient music.
- Transponder - This is kinda weird but cool at the same time!
- Fire Tree - Soothing...
- I Realize (XM Version) - If I could gather all the stars... *sigh* This track is really sweet.
- Seldom Seen - Very emotional and strong track. With awesome drums. One of my favourites among the favourites. And it inspired me to compose Timelord...
- Emelie - Emotional tracks are something Radix can do really well!
- Judo Grooves - A groovy dance track - Simple, but I like it.
- Colours (with Lluvia) - Again, one of those wonderful tracks with glitchy drums and great chords.
- asm 95 icecream girl - Mmmh, I love icecream, and this is chiptune is (very) short but sweet!
- Imaginary Friend - Chiptunes, you gotta love 'em.
- You & Me - Did someone say.... Chiptunes?
- Superglam - It is a bit short, but nevertheless one of the best dance tracks I know.
- Sunchild - Those strong and deep strings are great! Again, this tune should be much longer!
Wow, that is one long list! But yeah, those tunes are simply awesome. Have fun!
And see you at Breakpoint 2009!
Brokepoint 2009 February 1st, 2009
Breakpoint is in trouble, the main sponsors decided not to support the party anmore. So it's up to us to make the best out of the party. Please consider buying a "supporter ticket" or donate a small amount of money to let the best demoparty of the year be really the best demoparty ever.
Update: Scene.org have set up a donation box (read: you can donate money via paypal now).
Some funkiness for you January 2nd, 2009
Those funky, jazzy, whatever modules are sure worth a listen... (List is in no particular order)
- Poldi - Head On - You gotta love this guitar.
- Axel - Caterina - Awesome jazzy tune in only four channels!
- Carlos - Elojatek - One example out of dozens of Carlos' perfect funk tunes.
- Marwin - Afro Superfly - Quite some funk in this one!
- Anything by Reed, really... Like 118 in 64 and 194 or Kings of Evoke (both 64k funk!), A Synthetic Device (4k funk!!!) and Turquoise (well, this one's a bit bigger )
- Chrylian - Imagine is probably the best jazzy four channel .mod that I've ever come across until today!
- Walkman - Fastfunk - Funk and SID-style leads, is there anything better?
- Traven - Neptunian Funk - This one is a bit slower, but really nice.
- Funck-2.mod - Whoever made this, made some serious (Tech-?)Funk. Nice!
- Jaco - Paranoimia
- Stuff by Jazzcat.
Have fun(k), I think they're all worth listening.
Happy new year btw.